This photo is one of nearly 17,000 photos.
Become a member for full access. Click here now!
|Title:||Soldiers and Sailors Monument|
|Photo Date:||ca: 1985|
|Condition:||good, few spots|
|Dimensions:||6 1/4 x 9|
|Keywords:||businesses, city sign, television antenna|
|Location:||S.E. corner of courthouse square, corner of Main and Washington Sts. Delphi, IN|
|Material Type:||B&W glossy|
|Notes:||Dedicated in 1893 to honor the county's Civil War veterans, it stands 51 feet tall, a masterpiece in gray Vermont granite. In bronze and stone, one sees the brave color bearer, the infantryman, the cavalry charge, cannon balls, muskets, bayonets and sabers. Done in base relief bronze figures show a soldier tenderly saying good bye to his mother, his father, his wife and baby. Others tell of the soldier's return. He hisses his child, he embraces his wife; he greets his father. In a final scene, a veiled woman lays flowers on a hero's grave. The dedication day July 27, 1893 , brought 15,000 people to the courthouse square, Cannon boomed, flags waved and tears flowed . The governor spoke, Gen. W. H. Gibson gave the keynote address.|