This photo is one of nearly 17,000 photos.
Become a member for full access. Click here now!
|Title:||Canal Warehouse (see notes)|
|Photo Date:||ca: 1865|
|Dimensions:||6 1/4 x 4 1/4|
|Keywords:||Wabash & Erie Canal, fence, houses|
|Location:||N. Delphi, IN|
|Material Type:||B&W glossy|
|Notes:||The canal in Delphi was completed in 1838 and open to Lafayette in 1840. It flourished until 1856, when the Toledo, Wabash and Western Railroad was constructed down the Wabash valley practically parallel to it. The receipts were inadequate to keep the works in repair, and it was abandoned as they fell into ruin. In 1874 the last boat from the west was crossing the aqueduct at the mouth of Deer Creek just below Delphi, when the rotten timbers gave way and plunged the mules and Negro driver into a single grave. Later old boats were occasionally used by picnic parties as a novelty on short sections between locks. |