This photo is one of nearly 17,000 photos.
Become a member for full access. Click here now!
|Title:||South Market St. outdoor setting|
|Photo Date:||ca: 1868|
|Condition:||spotty, scuffs, crackled on right side,|
|Dimensions:||9 x 5 1/2|
|Keywords:||business, M. Lehnert Furniture, houses, fence, laundry, horse, wagon, wood walkway, lumber piles|
|Location:||Market and Main St. Delphi, IN|
|Material Type:||B&W glossy, modern print from glass plate|
|Notes:||W, side of Market St., corner of Main S. to alley, (lot33). The building on the corner SW was the cabinet shop of Michael Lehnert who bought 40ft. off the east side of lot 33 from John M. Keriston (an early photographer) in Feb. 1839, for $1,000 . The brick shop at the rear is now a part of the K. of P. Bldg. Beyond it as three houses still standing, 1st a large frame on lot 3 now call the Boigers house, beyond it (across Wabash St. lot 4) is the brick residence of Charles Wood, still occupied by his daughter, Mrs. Addie Eldridge. Beyond the Wood residence, a square brick on lot 1 of Menary's Add. build in the 50'x or early 60s by Dr. Anthony Garrett. It is now the residence of Judge Jas. P. Wason. Beyond Hehnert's shop on Main St. are several dwellings, and next a lumber yard, probably Wickerhams & Brought (listed Main St. 1932). At the foot of Main St. the warehouse of Spears Case * Co. on the side cut from the Canal, which can be seen between and beyond them. At the extreme right the large white frame on lot 8 of block 23, Crimes 1st Add. is the old original Delphi House built in the 1834 for Canal passengers and was a famous tavern stand, built especially for the purpose, it had 45 rooms, and stable accommodations, etc. For the advertisement when their construction. See Jas. M. Stewart Recollections of Carroll County Indiana (1875) p. 99|